Parvocalanus crassirostris is a small, pelagic calanoid copepod. The nauplii (larval stage) are small, measuring in the 50-100 µm range, making them a suitable feed for small-gape larval fish. Copepodites and adults range in size from 100 to 400 µm.
NOTES: These animals will only accept live algae. PLEASE READ THE PRODUCT OVERVIEW BEFORE PURCHASING so you will be prepared to receive and care for your copepods.
Please call for orders larger than 100K - they will require 7 days notice. We normally ship this product on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so if you need it sooner, please call us. All orders will be shipped separately from any refrigerated and/or frozen product.
Due to longterm shipping conditions for international customers, we can only ship the nauplii (≤ 100 µm) because the animals are more durable at this life stage and shipment transit time must not exceed 5 days.
P. crassirostris nauplius
- Good source of antioxidants and Vitamins C and E
- The movements of copepods and their nauplii trigger the feeding responses in larval fish
- This species is being used in marine ornamental aquaculture as well as large-scale finfish aquaculture
- It has been successfully used as a first prey item to culture species of snapper, grouper, yellowtail, seahorses, pipefish, dwarf angelfish and many others
- The use of copepods as a first feed has been associated with a decrease in fish malpigmentation and deformity